#29 Hildebold and Charlemagne – a lifelong friendship – The History of Cologne
A fateful encounter at the end of the 8th century. A young priest named Hildebold is celebrating mass in a small village church just outside the city of Cologne. A huntsman enters the church and is immediately taken by the priest’s modesty and piety. What Hildebold does not know, however. This man is not a hunter. He is Charlemagne. Why does the King of the Franks disguise himself as a hunter here in Cologne? You will find out in this episode.
Charlemagne and Kunibert of Cologne become best friends in the 780s. With the king’s help Hildebold gets appointed as the new bishop of Cologne. Together they reform the Frankish Empire. The so-called Carolingian Renaissance would reform the Frankish Empire and the whole of Western Europe forever.
#45 Anno II – The great Builder and City Ruler of the 11th century – The History of Cologne
- #45 Anno II – The great Builder and City Ruler of the 11th century
- #44 The Coup of Kaiserswerth
- #43 The Rise and Fall of the Ezzonids or How a single family dominated Cologne in the 11th century
- Funfacts about Cologne – Summer Break Episode
- #42 A Day in Court at Cologne Cathedral in the 11th century – An Ugly Archbishop and the Beauty of the Cologne Penny