#29 Hildebold and Charlemagne – a lifelong friendship – The History of Cologne
A fateful encounter at the end of the 8th century. A young priest named Hildebold is celebrating mass in a small village church just outside the city of Cologne. A huntsman enters the church and is immediately taken by the priest’s modesty and piety. What Hildebold does not know, however. This man is not a hunter. He is Charlemagne. Why does the King of the Franks disguise himself as a hunter here in Cologne? You will find out in this episode.
Charlemagne and Kunibert of Cologne become best friends in the 780s. With the king’s help Hildebold gets appointed as the new bishop of Cologne. Together they reform the Frankish Empire. The so-called Carolingian Renaissance would reform the Frankish Empire and the whole of Western Europe forever.
#51 Exploring 11th Century Cologne: A Virtual Walk through Time – The History of Cologne
- #51 Exploring 11th Century Cologne: A Virtual Walk through Time
- #50 "Don’t mess with us!" City Expansion and Siege of Cologne in 1106
- #49 Between Toleration and Persecution: Jewish Life around 1100 AD: The Pogrom of 1096 and the First Crusade
- #48 Germany in the 2nd half of the 11th century – Interview /w Dirk Hoffmann-Becking from History of the Germans Podcast
- #47 Anno‘s Revenge – The Archbishop strikes back 1074 AD