#10 Roman Emperor Trajan visits Cologne – The History of Cologne
VIP visit to our city on the Rhine. The heir to the throne Marcus Ulpius Traianus visits Cologne in the years 97/98. What he does not know, he will find out here that he is the new emperor. And this helps Cologne to an unprecedented upswing. For a few months Cologne becomes the residence city of the Roman Empire. With Trajan, a golden age for Cologne begins that would last for 150 years.
Listen to this episode!
#51 Exploring 11th Century Cologne: A Virtual Walk through Time – The History of Cologne
- #51 Exploring 11th Century Cologne: A Virtual Walk through Time
- #50 "Don’t mess with us!" City Expansion and Siege of Cologne in 1106
- #49 Between Toleration and Persecution: Jewish Life around 1100 AD: The Pogrom of 1096 and the First Crusade
- #48 Germany in the 2nd half of the 11th century – Interview /w Dirk Hoffmann-Becking from History of the Germans Podcast
- #47 Anno‘s Revenge – The Archbishop strikes back 1074 AD
The Golden Era of the Roman Empire under Trajan
Cologne’s Cardo Maximus/present-day “Hohe Straße” (engl.: “High Street”)
Capitoline Hill in Cologne
Trajan gets the news while his visit in Cologne that he is the new Roman Emperor. Contemporary depiction from the 15th century. Chronik of Koelhoff.